Thursday 1 August 2013

My iPod #102: be your own PET - Black Hole

Well, I never thought that I would ever be locked out of my own house. And yet, I'm typing this to you from my aunt's house because that is exactly what has happened. My sister has my mum's key - I didn't know, my mum didn't know, my sister didn't tell my mum, mum and I went out shopping and now I'm here.

It's fine though. It's fine. Sometimes you just have to laugh about these things. It's just another day, that we'll laugh about in the future. Maybe just me, I don't know about Mum.

So, the song. "Black Hole" is the second song from be your own PET's sophomore and final album "Get Awkward" in 2008. During the time between then and their first album, the band's original drummer left and was eventually replaced by another. I never thought such a small change could affect a band's sound so much, but it apparently did. The songs on the album had clearer melodies, Jemina Pearl drops her singing-talking-wailing delivery that she used for most tracks on the band's debut, only using it for some on "Get Awkward". The band still had the same energy, but there was a clear maturation in their sound.

"Black Hole" is the song for someone who loves violence, hates being bored and loathes the town they reside in because there's nothing to do. When there is something to do, they always end up repeating the same routine. And this sucks for the person in question. The song's not on the international release (it's only found on the UK version) due to 'controversial lyrics' and was instead released separately alongside 2 other songs on the "Get Damaged EP". That's pretty dumb, if you ask me. Sure, 'wanna choke myself on a telephone cord' is a bit rough, but people know that it's not a cool thing to do. Don't they?

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment