Sunday 4 August 2013

My iPod #105: The Darkness - Black Shuck

Now, it takes time for a person to find that certain artist that will determine their musical taste for the rest of their life. Some people may listen to The Beatles, Michael Jackson... I don't know. Those recognisable artists that change people's lives.

I was eight years old in 2003, and I didn't really listen to a specific genre. Mostly, it was music that was in the charts. At the time, music in the charts was bearable stuff. I wonder if people my age in 2003 hated chart music as much. Hmm. I wonder.

So in 2003, I was young and foolish. I had no idea what music was out there, where was the song that would actually make me want to get that artist's album. That, my friends, is where The Darkness came in.

I have to say, if it wasn't for this band, I probably wouldn't be watching MTV2. I would probably still be listening to chart music thinking it was good. Even if I was in Year 4, I thought "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" was the best song ever. And that was when I thought "Crashed the Wedding" by Busted had that title. My friend also listened to Busted and The Darkness too, and we thought they were the best bands ever. But The Darkness were so much cooler. Busted eventually split later on too. So The Darkness was the better band.

Then they released more songs - which I'll talk in months to come - and I made up my mind that I had to get the album. My first album ever with a "Parental Advisory" sticker on the cover. I never knew about the word 'cunt' until I saw the lyrics for "Get Your Hands off My Woman" in the liner notes. "Permission to Land" was the first rock album I got. For what occasion, I don't know. I think it was from my cousin though.

The Darkness got a lot of flack. I think a lot of people saw them as some 'wannabe/joke' band that were living in another decade. Their music videos didn't help them so much either. That's not cool. People are so close-minded. "Black Shuck" starts things off on the album with a thrilling riff, and what I guess is some polyrhythm before launching into actual 4/4 and rocking about some pimp-ass beast dog (Black Shuck) that is said 'to roam the coastline and countryside of East Anglia'. Wikipedia does not lie.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment