Sunday 11 August 2013

My iPod #112: Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun

Violent Femmes are a band from Wisconsin that formed back in 1980. They've split up twice but have got back together this year.

I'm not a fan of them; this is the only song by the band that I have. Not because I've listened to their songs and thought that they were crap, but because I haven't listened to anything else they've put out. Well, apart from "Gone Daddy Gone" (not a Gnarls Barkley song), and "Add It Up" (which I can barely remember). But even those are on the same album as "Blister".

"Blister in the Sun" came on when I was on the LAUNCHcast internet radio in the mid-noughties. It immediately caught my attention when the catchy riff started, and it's hard to forget it seeing as the riff melody is the same as the lead vocal too. The song was first released on the band's debut album in 1983, but sounds like it could have been released in the sixties. I don't know what it is, when I think of the eighties I think of long hair, Footloose, keyboards and drum machines. "Blister in the Sun" sounds like the complete opposite with it's minimal instrumentation. It makes for good listening when you're walking in a park, on a nice summer's day.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment