Sunday 25 August 2013

My iPod #126: Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Can you believe it? It has been almost ten years since "American Idiot" was released.

It seems like a few days ago I got the album as a present for my tenth birthday, listened to the story of the son of rage and love and never looked back as Green Day started to become one of my favourite artists ever.

Those of you who have the album should definitely understand what I mean when I mention 'the son of rage and love'. To those of you who don't, I can try and explain it to you but it would be better if you listened to "American Idiot" yourselves.

The album itself has a concept. To put it very short the story of a boy named Jimmy, who leaves his hometown to look for better things, but realises the things out there aren't so great and returns home. That is very basic, but you can search it up.

"Boulevard of Broken Dreams" comes in after Jimmy gets a real adrenaline rush of being away from home and wakes up the next morning to find that everything around him is morose and bleak. He is alone. He walks alone too. He walks alone, he walks alone.

How did "BoBD" become so important to me that it's had a place on my portable device? I don't know. I remember liking "Holiday" a lot more. I think it was the time that I realised that the video for "Broken Dreams" is set straight after the "Holiday" video, just like the two songs are on the album. The music videos for the song were shot in the same studio too. That was quite cool to know.

"Dreams" is a proper Green Day anthem. If you are to go to one of their shows, you better be prepared to know all the words to this. You don't want to be the one mumbling the words and then singing "I walk alone, I walk alone". That's not the title of the song. There are other lyrics, people.

Personally, my favourite part of the song is the last minute when Billie Joe sings the last words and the band just rocks out, because the chord progression and the notes are so awesome. It sounds like it comes from out of nowhere.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment