Wednesday 7 August 2013

My iPod #108: Dananananaykroyd - Black Wax

Hey everyone!

That was the name of Dananananaykroyd's first album , released on April 6 2009. One day after I turned fourteen. I had not heard the song at the time. I do remember hearing the band's name one time on MTV or something and working out how to pronounce it. That was about it really.

It was months later when I had started Year 10 in autumn 2009. A video for one of their other songs played on MTV2, I liked that. So I went on YouTube to see the video and listen to that song again. It was then that I found the video for this song.

Looking at the video then I think that I may have seen "Black Wax" on TV, but I changed the channel for some odd reason. Bad mistake. It's a good thing I came back to the song. It's one of the most joyful ones I have on my iPod collection. According to Wikipedia, "The song's lyrics, written by vocalists John Baillie Jnr and Calum Gunn are about a dream John had about the thrill of having sex on a bus made of drums (with another musician, but he won't say who) in an underground world in Paris, and trying to conserve the feeling by sealing it in a wax lined tin." Now I know that Wikipedia can be edited by anyone, but that actually seems legit. I don't know what the lyrics are about, but the music is upbeat and feel good as anything. Especially the last part when guitars roar in with a triumphant shout of 'here we are' by the two vocalists before fading out with the guitar. It's beautiful stuff.

The song was then chosen by EA Sports to be included in FIFA 10. Whether or not that did anything to the band's popularity is beyond me.

Dananananaykroyd were one of the happiest bands I'd ever witnessed. Instead of a 'wall of death, they embraced the concept of a 'wall of hugs' at their shows. They always looked like they had a good time in their music videos, as well as their home videos they uploaded on their YouTube channel. Look at their cover of "Whip It" by Devo. You can't help but smile to it. They split up though. That's a shame.

I may never see you Dananananaykroyd, but thank you for the music anyway.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment