Saturday 17 August 2013

My iPod #118: Wheatus - BMX Bandits

You would think that after result success, I wouldn't be here for quite some time. I would be out with friends. At the cinema, at their houses, anywhere. Nope. It appears that no one is doing anything. I guess they are with their families, which is understandable. It's a good time for a lot of us. The weather wasn't very good anyway. Who would want to go out now?

When you see the word "Wheatus", what do you think of? A lot of people, especially in the society we live in now, would probably have no idea. But you and I remember "that band who had that song.... Teenage Dirtbag! Yeah!" That was released thirteen years ago. The band had another hit with a cover. After that they seemingly dissappeared from the face of the earth.

However, they actually released a few more albums afterwards. But did anyone care? Not so much. Except for Wheatus fans. To be honest I was just content with the two aforementioned tracks. That was until some time in 2005 when "BMX Bandits" came up on Scuzz.

How did I feel when the video appeared? Well I thought the song was great. The animation present in the video was a bit much, but I really liked the melody of the chorus and the quiet-loud-quiet dynamic it had when alternating between that and the verses. Then when "WHEATUS - BMX BANDITS" came up near the end, I was shocked to see that A) It was Wheatus B) A video of theirs that wasn't "Teenage Dirtbag" was on the TV and C) The song was actually worth listening to.

I took ages for me to finally listen to the song in full on the Internet. What matters is that I eventually found it and saved it on my computer.

The track was the first single from the band's 2005 release "TooSoonMonsoon", which went barely noticed by anyone. I haven't listened to that album, but I'm just going to assume that this is definitely a highlight from it.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment