Monday 5 August 2013

My iPod #106: Kanye West - Black Skinhead

"I just talked to Jesus, he said "What up, Yeezus?"
I said, "Shit, I'm chillin', tryin' to stack these millions."
I know He the most high, but I am a close eye
Mi casa es su casa, that's our Cosa Nostra HUH?!
I am a god."

That's probably one of the funniest verses I've heard in a long time. Kanye West, at the moment, feels like he cannot be touched. He's got a hot wife, he's a father. Things are looking up for him.

What better way to show his good life off to everyone then, by writing about that (amongst other topics that interest him) in his new album, "Yeezus"?

I like Kanye West's music. Seems like forever ago when he first came out with "Through the Wire" and seemed like a modest man who, after surviving a life threatening car crash, wanted to show the world that he wasn't just a great producer but could handle his own material. With an album title such as "Yeezus", we now see how far this 'modest man' has come.

"Yeezus" came as a real surprise to me. Let me tell you why. I knew it was his next album title, and then found reports about his new song "New Slaves" being shown on the sides of buildings around the world. That was around Springtime/early Summer. So I thought, "Well, it must be next year that the album will come." That was until my friend told me that it would be released in only a few days time. Oh.... SHHHIIIIIII-

No way! The new Kanye album's coming! Ah man. I couldn't wait. That was until the album leaked, and the same friend sent me the link through Facebook. I was all over that shit. I couldn't handle it!

That's where "Black Skinhead" comes in. After being impressed by "On Sight", "Black Skinhead came in with those thumping tom-toms and I knew that some hard stuff was about to go down. One thing that struck me about the album was how loud it was, but it came to good effect on this song. This song has to be played loud. It's Kanye's theme song.

After listening to it multiple times now, it doesn't feel the same as it did on that first listen. It's definitely a highlight though.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment