Friday 2 August 2013

My iPod #103: Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun

This may be a short post. I'm not really a fan of Soundgarden, so I don't know if I'll be able to say a lot about them. I did download "Superunknown" last year though, thought that was awesome and listened to a few songs of theirs afterwards. But I'll try and fill the void.

"Black Hole Sun" was actually the third single from "Superunknown". Huh. I always assumed it was the first, only because it's considered to be the band's most popular song. Grunge was still the big thing in America at the time the song was released, but Kurt Cobain was dead too. So the grunge followers needed a song that would reflect the feelings. This eventually became that song.

I watched Kerrang! one day, and the video for "Black Hole Sun" came on. I was pretty weirded out by the whole thing. The whole apocalypse theme, the weird stretching faces... pure nightmare fuel for anybody. 'Cause of that, I didn't really like the song. I didn't want to see the video again for quite some time either. I realised the song wasn't bad though. I can't make my mind up on whether the song has a positive mood or a negative one. Stereotypically, grunge never has a positive message. There's no negative theme in the song, it's just about who observes problems around them, and yearns for something to 'wash the rain away'. Maybe it's the drop D tuning that does it. Makes the track sound dark and moody.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment