Tuesday 13 August 2013

My iPod #114: Editors - Blood

I've contemplated on whether I should keep this song on here. "Blood" is an alright song, but I don't really like Editors anymore. I wasn't a big fan of them in the first place. Their singles are pretty good, but there was nothing that appealing about the band that made want to listen to all of their albums or whatever.

"Blood" was released as a single from the band's debut album "The Back Room" in 2005, the year that all these 'post-punk revival'/'indie' bands started releasing new music. It was an exciting time. I think the first song I heard by Editors - this may apply for many other fans too - was "Munich", which has become to be the band's most notable song. They released that song once in 2005, and then again in 2006. It only took two releases, but the band got their first top-ten single.

The band did the same thing with Blood, only it didn't do so well the second time reaching 39 when a year earlier it got to 18 the year before. Chart positions are not the main focus though. The main priority is to tell you why I like this song.

Well, one thing is that sound that the lead guitarist Chris Urbanowicz gets on his instrument. It's got one similar to a police siren, and is used throughout their first album and their follow up "An End Has a Start". He left the band this year. The chorus is probably the best part of the song, I've always wondered about the way Tom Smith pronounces veins. To me it sounds like "venes" as in 'jeans' or 'genes', I guess the actual way it said wouldn't have sounded that good.

If you want to find out more about Editors, search them up on Wikipedia and listen to their stuff on YouTube.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment