Tuesday 27 August 2013

My iPod #128: Mystery Jets - The Boy Who Ran Away

"The Boy Who Ran Away" was Mystery Jets' third official single in 2006. Their first album "Making Dens" was out, and they were played a minority of the time on MTV2. Most of their airtime came in the NME Chart, before NME up and went to go and have their own channel.

At first, "The Boy Who Ran Away" wasn't to my liking. I would always skip the channel everytime the video came on. I take that back - it's not that it wasn't to my liking, it was just that I barely gave it a chance.

I did like their other songs though. "Alas Agnes" was a good one, as was "You Can't Fool Me Dennis" which weirded me out because the lead singer looked very similar to a friend I had in primary school. "The Boy Who Ran Away" must be alright then, shouldn't it?

Well, yes it is. I wouldn't be wasting my time on writing about a song I didn't like. The majority of people in the UK liked the song too; it reached #23 over here and remains to be the band's highest charting single.

The song tells a story about... a boy who runs away. From home apparently. But he ends up in a rubbish place, and goes home back to his parents even though he knows they don't like him. Pretty miserable. It's an upbeat song, so you probably wouldn't realise the tragedy.

Look out for the 'lo-lo-lo' bridge singalong too. That's catchy as hell.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment