Wednesday 28 August 2013

My iPod #129: Pink Floyd - Brain Damage

...... Okay.

"Brain Damage" is the penultimate tune from Pink Floyd seminal 1973 album "The Dark Side of the Moon". I first listened to "The Moon" in 2009, when I randomly started downloading albums for fun from weird dutch websites.

When I became interested in Pink Floyd, I was more of a guy who was into "The Wall" more than anything. "Another Brick in the Wall" was the band's video that played on the TV when I was much younger and freaked me out a bit. I have the feeling I've told this story before. I think it was in the post for "Any Colour You Like". Check that out too. That's another song on this album.

I digress. "Dark Side" was an album that I always knew existed, but all the comments and acclaim about it made me think that it couldn't be that good. It is a really cool album; I guess I should have been born in the 50s or so to really understand how extraordinary this album is, but I'm not complaining.

I am also a mega fan of albums where the songs segue into one another, so The Dark Side was heaven for me. It irks me when I download an album and there's a click or a sudden stop between songs which are meant to flow into each other. "Brain Damage" ends quite abruptly because it does this into the next song. I would have included that song in this post, but that's a bit of a cheat.

"Brain Damage" was the song that stayed in my head for some time after I listened to the album in 2009. The calm verses are quite hypnotizing with Roger Waters' cool vocals until they eventually build in intensity for the choruses where the title of the album is mentioned. The album's overall theme is madness, and the individual songs are on a subject that apparently lead all human beings to madness (time, money, death etc.) so "Brain Damage" along with "Eclipse" is the climax that the whole album has been leading towards.

It's also a small tribute to former lead singer Syd Barrett, who went a bit mad.

I thought I would have a hard time with this post. I've enjoyed it though, I hope you like it.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment