Monday 12 August 2013

My iPod #113: Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop

What do I think of when I listen to this song.... Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3...... that's about it.

Yeah, "Blitzkrieg Bop" was another tune that would play on my PS2 weekends when I would spend most of the two days on the console playing FIFA and other games. What made it stand out from so many other songs on the soundtrack - I've said how good the soundtrack is already - was how simple it sounded.

It's got a very noticeable riff which repeats throughout the song and the whole thing is based around only four chords. I didn't know any of the lyrics though, the only ones I made easily made out was the "AI OH LET'S GO" chant and when the lead singer says the song title. The rest of the time I could only mimic the way Joey Ramone sang.

It was later on when I actually bothered to look up the lyrics. It was at that time that I realised the line "shoot 'em in the back' was censored in the game. My Year 4 studies had taught all about the 'blitzkrieg' and what it's significance was, so I assumed that the song was just a description of a scene when the 'blitzkrieg' was happening. The song's meaning is vague apparently, so I won't go much into it.

I tried to get into Ramones. I listened to "Teenage Lobotomy" once, and one of my friends thought "I Wanna Be Sedated" was the most awesome song. They are cool. Ramones' debut album is very good too, even if it finishes under half an hour. "Blitzkrieg" is good enough for me though.

Ramones apparently founded punk rock and every fan who loves that genre is very happy for that, including me. They are a very important band. Most of their original members have passed which is a shame. Their music and their name still lives on.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment