Tuesday 6 August 2013

My iPod #107: Arcade Fire - Black Wave/Bad Vibrations

Evening everybody.

Feeling good? Yeah, me too. Results day for my exams is in nine days. It's pretty scary. I'm trying not to think about time though. Next Thursday determines the rest of my life. Or at least the year that's to come. Let's hope that I get good ones.

Today is the fifth song on Arcade Fire's second album "Neon Bible", released in 2007. To summarise - for those of you who don't know who Arcade Fire are - they are a Canadian band which practically every critic came to love after they released their fist album "Funeral" in 2004. They rose in popularity, gained a lot of fans and have currently finished their fourth album which is due to be released in Autumn.

Neon Bible's release was probably as hyped as "Favourite Worst Nightmare", so everyone was waiting to see what the band would do next. My sister bought it when it came out. We listened to it on Windows Media, that's when I first heard this song.

I say that today's post is one song, but it's actually two sections just merged together to make a full product. I will guide you through them as best as I can.

First section: Black Wave
Régine Chassagne, occassional lead vocalist, sings the first part. The whole song is quite chilling and very haunting. This first part has a lighter mood than "Bad Vibrations" though. It tells the story of a couple, supposedly on the run from the law, and set sail on the ocean to lead a new life. She also sings in French for some lines too, that's cool. And mysterious.

Then everything comes to an abrupt end, and with a few strikes on a xylophone the second part then starts with a boom.

Second section: Bad Vibrations
Impending doom. That's really all I can think of when I listen to "Bad Vibrations". Weirdly, the phrase "Black Wave" is used in this and not in the first. The "bad vibrations" are only alluded to in the final lines, "The sound is not asleep/It's moving under my feet", but are also emphasised by the dark tone, Win Butler's perishing vocals and the various "oohs and aahs" in the background. It's pretty scary. The song slowly comes to a halt, and segues into the next song.

So there you have it. Another post is done.

Hope you like the song as much as I do. Listen to it. Comment if you want.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment