Saturday 3 August 2013

My iPod #104: Michael Jackson - Black or White

Michael Jackson. A name that brings up so many memories... so many questions. Too many that I won't go through in this blog. Whether you hated or loved him, you can't say that the guy didn't make some damn fine music. That will go down forever in history.

I remember where I was when the news came out that he died.... I was in my bed, asleep. My sister came home from a night out screaming to my aunt that Jackson had died. "Pffff... no way," I thought to myself "It's just a rumour."

Next morning on BBC News - BREAKING NEWS: MICHAEL JACKSON DEAD. Holy shit... he was gone. I didn't really care for the guy, his music was fantastic and all. It was a shame though. It was raining. Everyone on the public bus to school was quiet, except for this one guy blaring Michael Jackson songs in his ears. My friend hastily ripped of the front page of The Sun and stuck it on the notice board in our form room as some sort of 'tribute', and MTV played Michael Jackson videos all day. It was crazy. Four years has flown by.

Enough with the sadness. Let's talk about "Black or White". I can't remember the first time I heard the song. Michael Jackson seems like a name that had been around forever. I have a feeling my sister had a cassette that showed all the videos for "Dangerous" somewhere. It must have been on that. The faces morphing into different people near the end of the song is something I can remember. It's very vague.

"Black or White" was the first single from "Dangerous" in 1991. I wasn't born, my sister had been for a few months. It's a very happy song, singing positively about equality and people getting along with one another. The chorus of the song is, if you... were thinking of getting with Michael, it didn't matter if you were black or white. If you were fine - and not like 'feeling fine' but if you were fine - then you had a good chance with him. And this is all sung over a joyful riff, not played by Slash of Guns 'n' Roses. It reached number one almost everywhere, and was another song to add to Jackson's classics.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment