Friday 27 December 2013

My iPod #202: The Offspring - Come Out and Play

I was born a year after "Smash", The Offspring's breakthrough album came out. I first heard "Come Out and Play" when its video played on MTV2.

One main thing went through my head whilst watching it. That was why Dexter Holland thought that having dreadlocks was a good look. All the time I saw an Offspring video, he had spiked up hair and to see the previous hairstyle he had before was a bit strange.

Apart from that the song was much different to any Offspring song I had heard before. I was a big fan of songs like "Pretty Fly", "Hit That" and "Original Prankster" to name a few, and they were all songs with quite comedic and sarcastic subject matter.

"Come Out and Play" is more menacing in tone, but is made cooler by the Arabian-sounding guitar that plays during the instrumental break. The song is simply about gang culture, I can't say anymore on that. It is a song of a very serious matter, no matter how engaging the song's title is.

No comments:

Post a Comment