Wednesday 11 December 2013

My iPod #186: Green Day - Christian's Inferno

I thought "21st Century Breakdown" was a real bore of a first listen. Being available as an exclusive on we7.com, when the site was actually useful, I took the opportunity to hear Green Day's new album. It was their first in five years, you know.

But I didn't think it was too great. At least from what I can remember anyway. I already didn't like "Know Your Enemy" - thought that was quite a disappointing first single - and I wasn't amazed by anything much on the album. Everything sounded the same production-wise.

I did download it eventually later on in 2009. Feelings improved a bit. I still didn't think it could be regarded as one of the band's finest albums though. But the number of songs I was able to memorise did increase.

Then Green Day: Rock Band came out the following year, and that helped me a lot to work out the melodies and 'guitar patterns' of the whole album. It made me appreciate the album that bit more.

I am still very confused about what the concept of 21st Century Breakdown is. I probably mentioned this in a previous post. Still not quite sure who Christian and Gloria are, or what they are meant to represent. I am not sure why Christian is so full of wrath in this particular track either.

"Inferno" is a belter though. Not one of the best tracks on the album, with a repetitive chorus and theatrical, maniacal laughter by Billie Joe which doesn't have any emotional effect on me whatsoever. But.... I don't know, it's just something to jump around and go crazy to when no one's around.

No comments:

Post a Comment