Tuesday 10 December 2013

My iPod #185: System of a Down - Chop Suey!

Ah, Chop Suey... I was confused as fuck when I saw the video for this. System of a Down freaked me out just a bit.

I change the channel and suddenly there are these half-naked guitarists pulling faces at the camera, a singer with a huge beard yelling, screaming and saying gibberish in the verses. Quite creepy. But I saw it again and again and wasn't so perturbed by it anymore. In fact, the more I watched it the more I understood what the song was about. The more I liked it, too.

Back then, I probably thought the band members were just being weird. But it's probably the passion they put into performing the song if anything. The video is pretty cool; the song is...... Well, I'll just say if mood swings were to be composed into music then this is the piece captured in three and a half minutes.

"Chop Suey" was the first single from the band's second album "Toxicity" in 2001. I did not hear the song until years after.

It is very hard to say exactly how I feel about the song. Only because a lot of things happen in it. If you haven't heard it, where have you been?

But really if you haven't heard it then you should watch it above because.... it is something.

No comments:

Post a Comment