Saturday 28 December 2013

My iPod #203: The Beatles - Come Together

When I come to a Beatles song, I always approach it quite apprehensively. What could I possibly say about their songs that hasn't been said on Wikipedia, on the countless fan sites dedicated to the band, or even YouTube comments where the person copy and paste everything and try to post it as their own original facts?

I can't. That is my answer. All I can tell you is that this track is one of the most grooviest, laid-back and badass tracks to ever exist through time. Also a contender for one of the best tracks to start an album.

"Come Together" is the opener for The Beatles' "last" album "Abbey Road". Every time I see that famous album cover, that track always pops into my head. I think the track just sums up everything when your eyes witness it. The four guys all in time... in unison. Never missing a beat right up to the end.

I was walking to my friend's house in my suit earlier this year when it was prom day, and I felt so cool listening to this song on my iPod. I have never experienced such a feeling since.

One theory about the song, written by John Lennon, is that each of the four verses describe the members of the group in their own abstract and surreal way. Another theory is that all the verses are about John himself. Lennon, apparently, stated that it was inspired by American politics.

I'll carry on believing that it's the first option, because to write those verses and then back it up with such tight instrumentation - with each member being at their best too - it's almost as if they are saying "Yep, we're good baby we know it". Even though they weren't getting along so well at the time. But still. Listen to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment