Monday 2 December 2013

My iPod #177: Kings of Leon - Charmer

After the seven minute epic that opens the third album by Kings of Leon comes one of the hardest rockers that the band have produced to this day.

"Because of the Times" was allowed to be streamed on the band's MySpace (remember that) before it was originally released. I couldn't begin to tell you what I thought of the song when I first heard it; I was just waiting for "On Call" to start. I just remember it being very loud. I can tell you more now though.

"Charmer" begins with a looming and ominous bass which repeats its pattern throughout most of the song, whilst the guitars play various riffs which make the overall sound quite dissonant and strange. Caleb Followill screams a lot in the track which was compared to those of Black Francis from Pixies by critics, if I remember correctly.

My favourite part? The breakdown when the rhythm section plays, then Caleb joins in on guitar which ultimately segues into a piercing solo before the song ends on its final chorus.

No comments:

Post a Comment