Tuesday 24 December 2013

My iPod #198: Nine Black Alps - Cold Star

Skip to 10:07 of the video. It's the whole album if you want to hear it! But 10:07 is when the song starts.

So I was out yesterday. Went to my friend's house to play a bit of FIFA and watch the Arsenal match (which was terrible). I was out for almost half the day, and so could not do my post.

But here is the first one coming today! I have plenty of Nine Black Alps songs on my iPod, and I could talk endlessly about all of them. This one I'm not so sure about. I'm only kidding! Let's go.

"Cold Star" is another track from Nine Black Alps third album "Locked Out from the Inside" which was released in 2009. I've made it clear on two occasions before that it was a return back to form after the somewhat disappointing "Love/Hate", and "Cold Star" only made things so much better when I was listening to the full thing for the first time on the Internet.

Instrumentally, it's another three minute shock of loud and relentless, crunchy guitars and a stomping rhythm section. This and violent, depressing imagery such as 'tired faces', 'bleeding' and' 'amputation scars' altogether combine to make a song about hopelessness which is over before you even realise. All of this is done with a Beatles reference in the chorus too. Unbelievable.

A bit unrelated... but good news is that they have a new song out! "Novokaine". Hopefully, a sign of a new album to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment