Monday 4 March 2013

My iPod #9: Kanye West - Addiction


You may not have thought that this would happen due to the types of songs that I have blogged about already.... and because of the fact that he can be quite the douchebag.

But you have to admit, that douchebag can make some good hits. Mhm mhm.

'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' may be the people's favourite of his work; for me 'Late Registration' and 'The College Dropout' remind me of those good times when he wasn't that egotistical, and when I liked music that played on the radio and Top of the Pops.

That was only 5 or 6 years ago, so what the fuck happened?! I barely like anything that's in the charts now.

My sister got Late Registration around the time that it had been recently released. She really liked 'Gold Digger', so she went to Woolworths and got it one day.

I didn't like hip hop so much when I was ten. All of my albums that I actually owned were mostly indie stuff, and Green Day was the band that I was really into then. American Idiot was the shit, man. Especially when I was ten.

'We Major' and 'Drive Slow' aren't on my iPod, but my sister would blast those songs out of the computer speakers endlessly. The singles, 'Diamonds from Sierra Leone', 'Gold Digger', 'Touch the Sky' and 'Heard 'em Say', I had obviously already seen or heard.

It was when I started my YouTube channel that I really paid to all of the songs on Late Registration. Hardly any of the songs by Kanye West were on the site, (this was back in 2008), so I took it upon myself to upload the album onto the site.

'Addiction' is about well........ what do you think?

"Why everything that's s'pose to be bad, make me feel so gooood?
Everything they told me not to is exactly what I woooould.
I tried to stop, man, I tried the best I could but yoooooou (make me smiiiiiiiiiiile)"

That's another thing too. It's got a great sample. Kanye is known for a lot of sampling. A lot. And this is one out of a million that works really well. And sampling can go baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Until next time.

Jamie. 

P.S. Don't be afraid to share with friends on Facebook, Twitter, or any other social network. I will love you if you do. Need more recognition for no money whatsoever.

No comments:

Post a Comment