Sunday 24 March 2013

My iPod #29: Love - Alone Again Or


Yeah. Said it's all right. I won't forget. All the times I've waited patiently for you. And you'll do, just what, you choose to do. And I will be alone again tonight my dear.

Those are the first words of album 'Forever Changes' by Love.

I'm a great fan of music. Any type. You may have guessed that already. I got to a point last year, when I really couldn't think of any albums to download. I had a large amount stuffed into my iTunes library, but still I couldn't think of anymore.

That was until I took the initiative to search 'best albums ever' into Google, and surprise surprise there's a site which had all I could hope for.

besteveralbums.com compiles the albums by the amount of times they've been placed in a 'best of' chart in magazines as well as allow users to rate their favourite albums. I would have no idea who 'Love' is if it wasn't for the site, I probably wouldn't have listened to any of the albums that are shown on there too.

I listened to 'Forever Changes', for the first time last year on Spotify. 'Alone Again Or' was the one that got my attention straight away. Yes, it is the first track of the album so that's obviously going to happen. It's quite a simple song, it has two verses with one of them repeated as the final verse, but it is backed up with lush orchestration. Violins, various strings, the trumpets in the middle which reminds me of the stereotypical background music that's played in a cartoon when a character goes to Mexico, or some other South American country. To put it frank, it sets the mood for the whole album.

And yet still, 'Forever Changes' isn't one of my favourite albums. I don't know what it is, I don't really know how to say why it isn't. I think it's just that it's sounds very different to what I normally listen to. There's something very sophisticated about it that just puts me off it. I'd probably have to listen to it again and see if I change my mind.

You don't have to take my bullshit though, listen to it and make up your own decision.

Until next time.

Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment