Saturday 30 March 2013

My iPod #35: They Might Be Giants - Ana Ng

:') Another great song.

One of the best They Might Be Giants songs ever. It's got everything you want. A great chorus, an edgy guitar riff in the verses, and their typical trait of being able to write a melody that gets stuck in your head and never leaves.

The video of this song was one of the first of theirs I saw. I've told you guys about the Launchcast site Yahoo had, and how it basically introduced to what is my favourite band. When I saw it, I didn't know who was singing. Neither John was lip-syncing to the song. The video just gave me everything I needed to know about them. They were synchronising in everything, their pounding on the table, their 'dancing', their general (I don't want to say it) quirkiness just attracted me to them.

I had a good friend in primary school, and I was ten when I watched the video. So seeing that just made me want to force him to watch it so we could mimic the things they did during lunchtime or whatever. Everything is fun when you're in year five.

Then primary school finished, and it was the summer holidays before I would start year seven. From being the oldest in the school, back to the youngest. I couldn't handle it. I went out with my sister to Woolworths to buy stationery (pens, pencils, all the stuff) to prepare, and I saw one of my good friends from primary school there. I saw her, but I don't think she saw me. I realised that's how it would be from then on. I would never have the same relationship I had with my friends once I moved to my new school. The fact that I was the only person from my school to get into the one I did only emphasised that. I barely saw any of them, when I did it was a small exchange of:

"Hi! How are you?"
"I'm good."
"Haven't seen you for aaaaaaages!"
"Yeah, I know."
"Well, see ya then! :)"
"See ya. :)"

:( It was never the same.

I remember getting on the bus with my sister after finishing at the shop, 'Ana Ng' came into my head and I just kept on humming it and singing it quietly to myself whilst looking out the window feeling the time go by.

'Ana Ng' is a really important song for me. It reminds of me of the good times.

Until next time.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment