Sunday 31 March 2013

My iPod #36: Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK

Sorry for being late.

Mate."Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols" is one of the best punk albums of all time.

Made up of Johnny Rotten, Steve Jones, Paul Cook and Glen Matlock (who then left and was replaced by Sid Vicious) were the voice of a generation who didn't give a shit. About anything. They only released one official album of original material, but the legacy they left on the punk genre and Britain overall still goes on to this day.

The first time I heard the song was around 9 or 8 years ago. I was watching this football show, something along the lines of the top ten controversial moments in the Premier League, and the incident where Eric Cantona kung-fu kicked a fan in the stands was shown. Of course it was one of those countdown things where the producers recruited these random celebrities to talk about these 'controversial moments' even if they didn't give a shit about football.

Cantona got in a lot of trouble for that in '95. The whole 'I AM AN ANTICHRIST, I AM AN ANARCHIST' seemed to fit the clip exactly, and seeing Cantona go crazy and hearing the song for the first time freaked me out a bit. I was eight years old at that time so... you know. It was scary.

Again, I would thank Yahoo's Launch for helping me find the song. I was listening to my specific radio station when 'L'Anarchie Pour Le UK' from 'The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle' played. I thought that the song sounded familiar, even if it was sung in French, and one thing led to another and I found 'Anarchy in the UK.'

I thought it was the best song I'd ever heard. It was just so punchy and raw, that trademark whiney vocal by Rotten and just the whole 'don't give a fuck' attitude that the song gave off.

'GET PISSED, DESTROOOOOOOYYAAAAAAAAAH.'

A great message for all the children.

Until next time.

Jamie.

Check out my new video on YouTube.

And Happy Easter too!

No comments:

Post a Comment