Wednesday 6 March 2013

My iPod #11: Daft Punk - Aerodynamic

Hi everybody, I just finished listening to 'The Battle of Los Angeles' and I completely forgot that it was blogging time.

So, Daft Punk...... where can I begin?

I haven't really come to this blog with any ideas. I'm not an avid follower of their music but from what I sense from reviewers their albums 'Homework' and 'Discovery' are their best ones, and 'Human After All'... not so much.

For me, Discovery is the absolute shit. Somehow it just brings out a huge gigantic hand, grabs you by the balls and squeezes until you just can't take it no more. I only really listened to it in 2010. That was nine years too late.

'Aerodynamic' is the second song on the album, between album opener 'One More Time' and 'Digital Love' and it all segues together seamlessly. After the epic party starter of 'OMT', a huge bell brings everything to a stand still, a sense of doom and foreboding. All of a sudden the beat starts like a punch in the face, and you find yourself Spongebobbing and pop-lock 'n' droppin' all over.

That part lasts for 30 seconds or so.

And then....... the solo. THE SOLO. The most unexpected bloody awesome guitar solo that you could come across in a 'house, techno' whatever the hell album.  If you listen to the song for the first time, it's just a total surprise. Where the fuck does it come from?

I thought it was a copy of some classical music composer's work, but Daft Punk don't acknowledge them. So I can only assume they made it up. Which is even more crazy.

I'm not a very good music analyser or anything. I'm not a music reviewer guy at all. I'm just giving my opinions on the songs I have on my iPod. But that is just one of many highlights on the album.

The aforementioned bell brings an end to the middle section. Then everything cools down, synthesisers start playing the melody of the solo and it's very relaxing. It's a major comedown after the solo, and the doom bell rings again and 'Digital Love' begins. But you will all have to experience it for yourselves.

Now... when I was younger I saw the video for 'One More Time', it didn't make very much sense to me. Why were there cartoon people playing the songs? Why were they blue? Why was everyone blue?

I then found out that it was all part of a movie. 'Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem' is its name. For those who don't know, the movie has no dialogue, only 'Discovery' playing over it. I'll tell you.... it gave me a totally different understanding of the album. It is actually great.


Until next time.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment