Thursday 28 March 2013

My iPod #33: Simon & Garfunkel - America

Ah Paul Simon and Arthur 'Art' Garfunkel. What can I say about them?

Not much really. I'm not a massive fan.

It was in late 2011, that I listened to a full song by them. I knew 'Bridge Over Troubled Water', but I had always thought that was a hymn or something. I never knew it was an actual song.

A documentary on the BBC was shown once in October, a brief snippet of it is can be viewed here. This song played on it when the duo started talking about the conception of their 'Songs of America' documentary and the controversy that surrounded it and everything.

Hearing it then, I thought I had heard that song somewhere else before. In an advert, or a film, or another various medium.

It doesn't matter though. I listened to the song, liked it and put it on my iPod.

'Bookends' is the album that the song is on. 'Save the Life of My Child' is my favourite song on it, but you could say that 'America' is the centerpiece of the first 'side' of the album.

Of course there are no sides on a CD but the first half of the album has a concept of life starting from birth to death which is pretty cool. It's always nice to have a concept album once in a while. Even though it's only the first six songs.

Like I said, Simon & Garfunkel isn't really my kind of thing. 'Bookends' and 'Bridge over Troubled Water' are both great albums though.

Until next time.

Jamie.


No comments:

Post a Comment