Wednesday 27 March 2013

My iPod #32: Razorlight - America

In the late spring of 2006, I was eleven years old and in the final weeks of my last year at primary school.

A highlight of that period of time was the trip to the Isle of Wight where I, most of my 'bestest' friends (and a few kids from year 5) stayed for a week in 'Friends' Hotel and basically spent the last trip I would have in primary school not giving a shit about anything. It was all about having good times with my friends, and making the most of the time we had left.

However, a week away from the house meant a week away from the Internet or MTV2. The World Cup was being held at the same time, and we watched England vs Trinidad and Tobago on ITV, that was pretty cool. But that did not get rid of the fact that I was missing out on my music.

Friday 16th June - I come back home, switch the TV to my favourite music channel, and see Razorlight's new video for their 'new single' In the Morning. That got repeated almost every day during that time. It's not a bad song though, so I never got annoyed. I liked Razorlight anyway - Up All Night is good stuff.

'In the Morning' was their second highest charting single in the UK, getting to #3. 'Somewhere Else' had peaked higher at #2 a year before. And then they released this song.

'America' got straight to number one - in it's first week of release too! I didn't think it was that captivating of a song that it could ever get to that position. It was there for only one week though, then The Black Parade marched into town.

The funny thing is that the song was actually written by the band's drummer Andy Burrows. Johnny Borrell still got recognition in the song's credits though, you've gotta keep stacking up those pound sterlings.

I like America. The song isn't too bad either.

Seriously though some fans don't like Razorlight's self-titled album, they found that the band were raising their butts towards the radio and waiting for a pounding. (Sorry for the imagery.)

For me, this is Razorlight's last album where they actually made good songs. Those that I could listen to. 'Razorlight' and 'Up All Night' are the ones you want to listen to.

And then, in 2008. They released the video for their new song 'Wire to Wire', and I could never take them seriously as a band again.

They haven't released an album since.

Razorlight aren't even Razorlight anymore. Johnny Borrell is the only original member left.

Until next time.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment