Sunday 3 March 2013

My iPod #8: Blink-182 - Adam's Song

Hey everybody, everybody hey.

The year was 2005. My mum was driving me to my 11+ tutors house. And the news came up on the radio..... that Blink-182 had just split up.

How did I feel? I don't think I cared, I was only ten at the time. In fact, I wasn't even listening at the time. I only heard something about Blink-182, and then 'I Miss You' started to play. It was only later that I realised, when the video for 'Not Now' started showing on MTV.

I had probably first heard Blink-182 when I was about four due to 'All the Small Things', but at the time I would have had no idea who it was by. And I think I liked 'The Rock Show' too.... but really I can't remember. Let's just say I had a vague idea of who they were.

I think the first video I ever sat down and watched on the TV was the one for 'Always'. I liked that song, and the girl in it was hot too, so it was a win-win situation. I was probably nine.

But anyway, back to 'Adam's Song'.

The video for 'Not Now', as you may or may not know, is basically clips of all of their past music videos from 'Dammit' to 'Always' and miscellaneous footage of antics on tour.

Clips from the video for 'Adam's Song' appear in the video, and I had never really watched Blink videos before. I knew they had a thing for being naked, but I wondered what else they had.

Back then, YouTube didn't exist. I watched videos on this site Yahoo owned called 'Launchcast' or 'UK Launch' where you could customise your own radio based on your favourite bands and watch music videos for free. It was good shit. It's gone now, but at the time I had never been on any other site like it.

'Adam's Song' gives you a strong dose of mood whiplash if you're listening to 'Enema of the State', the album the song is on.

Blink are known for really fast, and poppy punk rock songs with bass chords, brilliant drumming, and tag-team vocals between Tom DeLonge and Mark Hoppus. Especially by Tom DeLonge.

But here..... you basically have a song about suicide. Which isn't cool. The song is cool. But suicide is not.

The video is pretty tame compared to other Blink videos too. There are no midgets playing instruments and there's not an arse in sight. It's a performance video with a few still-photo flashbacks, but it is a much more serious video.

Maybe that's what made me like it. It's not my favourite song of theirs, but it was quite different to anything that I had heard from them.

It's all fine though, on the album it's followed by 'All the Small Things', and in video chronology terms the video for 'Man Overboard' was released after this one. And that video is funny as shit!

Until next time.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment