Sunday 10 March 2013

My iPod #15: They Might Be Giants - Alienation's for the Rich

Oh my god, I'm so late. Sorry guys. I've been revising, so... yeah.

"They Might Be Giants again?" Yes. Deal with it.

It is another song from their debut entitled 'Alienation's for the Rich', one of those songs with a title which would make you immediately think, 'Oh hohoho. Those Giants and their weird, quirky titles derp derp derp.'

No.

I have to say, it did take me quite some time to actually get into this song. I would listen to the album, and it was so quick. You would be listening to songs with great melodies and eclectic instrumentation but they would be over so quickly before you realised.

Then 'Alienation' would start, and it just sounded so slow compared to the others. I was even like 'Alienation's for the Rich, like wh... what does that mean?' It was a song on the album that I would skip over quite a bit.

After listening to it a few more times, I have realised that it is probably one of the best songs out of the last five of the album, Rhythm Section Want Ad takes first place. Do you want to know why I changed my mind?

I will tell you anyway.

Yes, the first section of the song is pretty much samey samey, but it definitely captures the 'couch-potato, lazy sod' emotion and attitude that the 'narrator' is in. To me, just from the lyrics, it's about someone who 'needs a job' and needs to 'get some pay', but he doesn't give a shit and he feels fine.

John Flansburgh is a very underrated vocalist. I think that needs to be said. Both Johns are. They are very good singers. In this case, Flansburgh has a very wide range of vocal ability, ranging from girly-sounded whispers to a giant yelling his triumphs high from the hills. And he is able to use it well in any kind of song.

That is when the song completely changes. With a sudden key change after the instrumental bridge, Flansburgh starts belting out the second verse at the top of his lungs! I don't really know how to say it to you, I'm listening to the song in my head and trying to write how it sounds.

It's just brings a real elation to the track. You realise that the narrator is not miserable in the state he is in, but is damn proud of it. He really doesn't care. I mean, listen to the maniacal laughter at the end. LISTEN TO IT.

If only this was possible in real life.

Until next time.

Jamie.

A-HEY HEY HEY.

No comments:

Post a Comment