Friday 15 March 2013

My iPod #20: Sum 41 - All She's Got

Hi again.

No single this time. Just a standard album track on the album 'All Killer No Filler', the debut album by Sum 41, released in 2001.

I may have only been six when the album came around, and pop punk was still big around then. Blink-182 were still riding on their success with their then new album 'Take Off Your Pants and Jacket", Green Day were still pretty relevant with "Warning" being released the year before.

I may have been young yes, but 'Fat Lip' and 'In Too Deep' were pretty popular in the UK, so I heard those two many a time.

I downloaded 'All Killer' back in 2009. I don't really know why though, I just started to download albums around that time, and I guess I wanted some songs on my old iPod Nano.

'All She's Got' is the third last song on the album, but it segues into the next song 'Heart Attack' which also fades into the final song 'Pain for Pleasure.' I like when songs fade into one another, I think it's cool.

It's hard to describe Sum 41's music. Music isn't something to be described, but to be listened and admired. It's punky, but it's not angry punk. It's more of a rebellious, youth, stick a finger in the air at the authorities kind of punk. You couldn't really imagine any other band singing it except for Sum 41. There's something about Deryck Whibley's voice that just can't be matched by anyone. It's not that he's an amazing singer or anything, but he captures the 'emotion', if that's the correct word, in each song.

It's not the best song, but it's one that does sound like it should be placed near the end of an album. Like the sun setting down, on a beach, in California or something.

I wish that happened in England once in a while.

Until next time.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment