Thursday 21 March 2013

My iPod #26: The Rakes - All Too Human

Hello everybody.

The Rakes were an indie band that broke up in 2009 after the release of their album 'Klang'.

Again I was introduced to them by MTV2. I've said many a time that MTV2 was a great channel to watch back in 2005-2006. Without it I definitely wouldn't be as ecelectic as I am in my musical tastes, if I do say so myself.

The Rakes released their debut album 'Capture/Release' in August 2005, and originally this song wasn't on it. It was only when they released it as a standalone single the following year, that the band decided to re-release the album with 'All Too Human' listed as the final track.

The video premiered on MTV2 as part of its 'New Releases'. I haven't actually watched it in a long time, so I can't really remember what's happens. From its thumbnail, I can see that it's black and white.

The song itself is very good in my own bias opinion. The narrator has been in a relationship that is failing in front of his eyes, and he's now pining with self-pity. He knows that she would be fine without him, but knowing this makes him feel even worse.

However morose and depressing that sounds, the key and the melody has a very light tone. The ending of the song  uses vocals from all members of the band chanting 'Human, All Too Human', providing a satisfying conclusion to the song and the album.

'Capture/Release' received quite a bit of praise on its release, so if you're into Arctic Monkeys, The Futureheads, Bloc Party - bands like that, you might like the album.

Want to listen to more songs by them? Here are three.

Until next time.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment