Saturday 16 March 2013

My iPod #21: The Used - All That I've Got

Hi everybody. I'm a bit late, I'm sorry. I'm on my iPod right now, my mum wouldn't get off the computer, but it's fine. I may have to make this quick, the battery's running out.

'In Love and Death' is some album. It's not regularly considered to be something of a concept album, but it could easily, seeing as it is about those two themes. Written during a particularly miserable period for Bert McCracken, it can sound really happy in some parts and downright pissed off and depressing in others.

'All That I've Got' first came into my life through a friend of my sister. Her friends must have sent her the song through MSN or something, but I can't remember if sis liked it or not. I used to watch Kerrang! too, and it showed ten seconds of their new single at the time 'I Caught Fire' when it advertised the new videos that were the 'ones to watch'. However, I wasn't really interested, I don't think I liked the look of make up on lead singers so I didn't really bother listening to the song.

Coming after 'Let It Bleed' on the album, 'All That I've Got' is quite a sad song :( You wouldn't think it listening to the lyrics or the actual music. According to Wikipedia, it was written after the lead singer's pet died, and it's never great when that happens.

I think the song describes any person in a situation when a loved one has died. It's shown on soap operas all the time. There's a character whose dad or brother has passed away. A friend asks "Are you ok?", and the person answers, "Yeah, sure, why wouldn't I be? Haha." Then you see them crying in their pillow when they go to bed.

The narrator of the song does the same thing, and putting on the strong, 'I don't give a shit' facade is the only thing he has from making himself look like a pussy in front of other people.

To anyone who has had that experience, it's alright to feel sad. It's never happened to me before so I don't want to sound patronising. Whoever has left will always be with you, in your head and in your heart.

Until next time.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment