Tuesday 12 March 2013

My iPod #17: The Offspring - All I Want

So I'm watching standard TV one day, I change it to MTV2 and then suddenly "ALL I WAAAAAAAAAAAANT YAH YAH YAH YAH YAH" and a guy falls into a pit of mud and the video ends.

Wh-what.

I should probably start from the very beginning. Everyone knows 'Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)' right? If you have heard this song, even a clip of it in the shop or an advert or what not, this is the band who made that song.

I probably knew that song when I was, like 4. It got to number one in the UK for about a week, and I think I liked it and I remember my sister singing it too. Of course then I didn't know who it was by, but the counting in Spanish and 'Give it to me baby, UH-HUH UH-HUHs' were too catchy. I barely like it anymore, it's really cheesy for me anyway. I haven't got it on my iPod.

My cousin bought me The Offspring's Greatest Hits compilation for Christmas 2005, but that was because I knew that songs like 'Hit That', 'Original Prankster' and 'Can't Repeat' were on there, so I didn't pay as much attention to 'All I Want'.

I would probably talk more about how I got to like The Offspring. But that will probably in the blog for 'Hit That' when I come to it. Maybe next year. Or 2015.

In regards to 'All I Want', that split second of the ending of the video left me really puzzled. I never listened to 'All I Want' before so I went onto YouTube. The comments below were mostly along the lines of 'Yeah, this song rocks' to 'Yeah, Crazy Taxi' to which I thought, 'OK... back to the video.'

The song is very quick. It's on their album 'Ixnay on the Hombre' released in 1997 and was released as the first single from it. It's a fast, punchy, all-up-in-your-face punk song about breaking free, fuck the system, 'I DON'T WANNA BE CONTROLLED, 'SALL I WAAAAAAAANNT.'

Dexter Holland singing 'Want' in the chorus probably takes up half the song, but it's a hell of a chorus. You just feel like running down a corridor screaming that shit.

The video is something else too. It's pretty funny, you get the band performing the song in a house with different colour effects, a guy pushing women over, stepping in some weird shit on the ground, running past policemen on pogo sticks and random clips of a guy with sunglasses and a mask over his face whilst playing the piano. It's crazy. It's cool. IT'S ALLLLL I WAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNT. YAH YAH YAH YAH YAH.

Until next time.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment