Thursday 7 March 2013

My iPod #12: Radiohead - Airbag

The opening track to, according to besteveralbums.com, the best ever album... ever.

I got OK Computer as a present for my fifteenth birthday, along with Hail to the Thief, and I think The Bends too.

OK Computer is an excellent album, I can say that. When I generally listen to any album for the first time, I never think anything special of it. Especially if it's one that is always talked about, like this, or 'The Dark Side of the Moon', 'Sgt. Pepper' or whatever. But after a few listens, I always get why people talk. 'Paranoid Android', 'Karma Police' and 'No Surprises' were those that I'd seen and listened to and liked - the videos for those singles are something else too. But they only made the songs better for me.

'Airbag' isn't my favourite song from the album. However it's a great way to start things off, look at the opening lyrics:

'In the next world war
In a jack knifed juggernaut,
I am born again.
'

That's pretty awesome considering how before 1997, when the album was released, 'The Bends' was their last album. Putting in 'OK', hearing the first notes of 'Airbag'... I could only imagine that it would have been a slap in the face for many a Radiohead fan. Radiohead certainly had been born again. I was only two, so I can't really speak for anyone.

The chopped up drums, the semi-complete bassline, the spaced out guitar sounds by Jonny Greenwood and Ed O'Brien, Thom Yorke's vocals. Yeah. It can't get much better.

"In an interstellar buuuuuuuuurrrrrst.
I'm back to save the uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuniveeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrse."

Until next time.

Jamie.

P.S. This may have seemed like a really lazy blog. I apologise if it did. Many Radiohead fans may be disappointed. But there are many more Radiohead songs to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment