Sunday 28 July 2013

My iPod #98: They Might Be Giants - Birdhouse in Your Soul

Here it is, They Might Be Giant's biggest song. Commercially anyway. This, "Istanbul" and "Boss of Me" were their only songs to chart in the UK. Shows how much we know about music. I'm only joking, we know quite a bit about music. It's a shame we just never appreciated this band as much.

I've just woken up from a nap so please excuse any spelling mistakes, or anything that clearly doesn't make any sense.

They Might Be Giants released "Birdhouse in Your Soul" as the first single from their major label debut, "Flood". The song, from the perspective a 'blue canary' night-light who 'watches over you' in your sleep. Not in any strange kind of way, but to guard you from the demons and monsters of the night. Like a guardian angel, it's always near.

Now I don't know what affect the song had on people when it was initially released in 1990. I still had another five years to go until I was born, but judging from the stats I see on Wikipedia and TMBW it helped the band gain a bigger following of fans after reaching top ten positions in the UK and in the US Modern Rock chart in the US.

When I was younger and started listening to They Might Be Giants, I knew that I'd heard the song from somewhere. Perhaps in an advert, or it played in the background of a TV show or something. But I didn't know it was the band who sung it. I watched the video on Yahoo's LAUNCHcast website, and it made me like the song even more. The weird zombie children, the random bike riding around the band, the choreography, it's nice to see the band in one of their music videos too.

If you want to listen to the demo from Dial-a-Song, here it is.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment