Sunday 21 July 2013

My iPod #91: Radiohead - The Bends

Something I didn't mention in my last post is that I am currently in my cousin's house for a barbecue. The charcoal is not warming up at all however, and it may be a long time before I get anything to eat. I have only eaten breakfast, and I am quite hungry so something better be put in my belly soon.

Now to the song. A live performance of "The Bends" by Radiohead played on vh2 when I was younger. I can't remember if I liked the song at that moment, but the album (that takes its name from the song) contains some of Radiohead's most popular songs, including "My Iron Lung", "Just" and "Street Spirit (Fade Out)" and I liked those songs when I saw their music videos on the TV. For that reason I asked for "The Bends" for one of my previous birthdays - I can't remember which one.

The song starts quietly with a thirteen second sample of a guy training some kids outside of a hotel where the band were staying. The song is also about 'knowing who you real friends are'. My favourite part is the last section when the instruments seem to raise in volume, an great guitar solo occurs and Thom starts wailing 'I wanna be part of the human race.' It sounds so uplifting.

I'm edging nearer to my hundredth post. Quite weird. I never thought I could keep this up for so long.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment