Thursday 18 July 2013

My iPod #88: The Beatles - Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!

John Lennon bought a poster one day in 1967, from an antiques shop whilst filming the video for "Strawberry Fields Forever" with the other three guys. This is a picture of the poster. This is a picture of John standing next to the poster which is the real deal and not edited by Photoshop at all. It actually isn't.

To put it simply, everything in the song is from the poster. The horse's name wasn't Henry though. It was actually "Zanthus". I don't think "Zanthus the horse dances the waltz" would have been as good of a lyric though. Mind you, if they had used that lyric it wouldn't have been banned on the BBC for supposed "drug references". Silly BBC.

If you own the vinyl version of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", this song closes the first side of the album. To emphasise the circus theme of the song, their renowned producer George Martin asked the engineer to chop up recordings of various faiground organs and calliope music, throw them in the air and reassemble them at random. These are the noises used for the instrumental break, and also during the outro of the song. It took five days for the band to make this, and is regarded to be one of the more complex songs on the album.

It's used in this epic mix on the LOVE album from 2006 too.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

Kings of Leon - "Supersoaker"

Alright! So Kings of Leon are back, and this is their new single "Supersoaker". There's the audio-video right up there.

It premiered yesterday on Zane Lowe's radio show on BBC Radio 1. I missed the first time it played.

But then it played again later..... and I was quite pleased! Only a few posts ago was I talking about how I didn't like the new sound that they were going for now and how I was dissappointed that they had sold out or whatever. But this song is like a mix of that sound and their "Aha Shake Heartbreak" material. Reminds me of "Taper Jean Girl" in particular. This is what I wanted. They've gone back to where they once belonged. You can hear their roots in the song. The only recent song I can think of when they have done this is "Back Down South", and that's not even a bad song. I find myself singing that from time to time. Stick to your roots, KOL.

It's a thumping four-on-the-floor western rocker with Caleb's crooning vocals over the relentless guitars and jumpy bassline in the verses and everything. Yeah... I can dig this. This is a good first single.

Their new album "Mechanical Bull" is released in September.

Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment