Sunday 14 July 2013

My iPod #84: Green Day - Before the Lobotomy

To this day, I am still not sure what the concept of "21st Century Breakdown" is. I know that it includes two characters, Christian and Gloria, and I also believe that those are the same characters that are embracing on the album cover. So is it like a love story? Is it supposed to be some sort of survival of two lovers in a shitty period of time? That's really all I can deduce from it.

"21st Century Breakdown" was somewhat the "Relapse" for Green Day. It was released in 2009 - five years after releasing "American Idiot" in 2004. It was an exciting time for Green Day fans, including myself. I wasn't really impressed with "Know Your Enemy" though, it was a bit repetitive and it didn't strike me as much as "American Idiot" did as a first single.

That didn't stop me from eventually downloading the album though. It is a straight-forward punk rock album: Guitars in full force in both ears with the bass and drums in the centre, a few overdubs here and there and guitar solos. Yeah, it's good.

"Before the Lobotomy" starts off quietly for the first minute or so, describing how people feel down and how there seems to be no signs of hope, "Laughter, there is no more laughter. Songs of yesterday now live in the underground" But the song then picks up, turning into more of a rocker in the middle alternating between 7/4 and 4/4 in time signature. I can't remember the last time Green Day used that in a song. It's nice though, it keeps things going quickly. The end reprises the first verses of the song though, reminding everyone that society still sucks.

I like this song. Listen to it, you may like it too.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment