Monday 22 July 2013

My iPod #92: Lostprophets - A Better Nothing

This was originally going to be the fourth single from "The Betrayed", but "For He's a Jolly Good Felon" didn't do very well commercially. That's a shame; for me this song is a lot more satisfying and probably would have been a good single.

Unlike "Felon", there's no story to tell in "A Better Nothing". It's much more introspective, and sure to affect many a person who probably feel like Ian did when he wrote the song. I will take lyrics like "My chest tightens, it brightens the light of the stars, revealing the scars, all the times that were ours," over "Mikey, where'd you get the Nikes?" any day.

I don't what to make it a song vs. song post though. It's all about what's in the title. "A Better Nothing" is a highlight from "The Betrayed". It's not a happy song, and yet it's not a sad song either. It's one that's about determination and finding yourself. I'm no lyrical analyst, so I can't provide you with anything more than that and, like other songs on the album, the track is full with shrieking guitars and a vocal delivery to admire by Ian Watkins. Even the backing vocals, which I believe are done by him, are good too. Too bad he's not so good when singing live. That's always something that's puzzled me.

The song also seems right into the next song on the album "Streets of Nowhere", which is more of a Liberation Transmission outtake than anything. Too poppy and cheerful for this album.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

Ooh, and also congratulations to the Royal Family. Whatever the baby turns out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment