Thursday 11 July 2013

My iPod #81: They Might Be Giants - Bee of the Bird of the Moth

Oh, hello again! Nice to see you.

"Bee of the Bird of the Moth" is a track from They Might Be Giants' twelfth album "The Else" released in 2007. I didn't listen to it until very recently, only because I wasn't sure whether I wanted to listen to the album or not. It was released during the period when the band had developed their children's music albums, with "Here Come the ABCs" preceding it, and the two other "Here Comes..." coming afterward, so I had my doubts on whether the sound of the 'adult' album would appeal to me.

I was wrong to doubt. "This Might Be a Wiki", the information centre dedicated to the band allows its members to rate their songs out of 10, and out of 84 ratings it has an average of 8.83/10 which isn't band considering it's above songs like "You Probably Get That a Lot" and "Weep Day" which are just examples of two other songs that I like. I'm thinking that that's the actual reason why I listened to the song in the first place. It has a high rating in the TMBW song list. That sounds quite bad :(

I don't regret it though. If I hadn't done that, then there's the possibility that I may not have given "The Else" a chance. "The Else" is a great album. I'm biased though 'cause They Might Be Giants are one of my favourite artists, but it's proudly in my iTunes library where I can listen to the songs everyday.

In John Linnell's words: "This is a song about a hummingbird moth, which imitates another creature, which imitates yet another creature. It's completely fucked up and can only be explained in song!"

What more can you say?

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment