Tuesday 9 July 2013

My iPod #79: Late of the Pier - The Bears Are Coming

"The Bears Are Coming" is a song by the band Late of the Pier, a dance-punky quartet who have only released one album to this day called "Fantasy Black Channel". They haven't been around for quite some time, and in this duration their fans have yearned and pined for new material.

I don't know if I would call myself a fan of the band. If I am, it would be embarrassing to compare myself to others who actually keep up with whatever the members of the band do, whether it is "Late of the Pier" or side projects and stuff. But I like the album. It never has the same sound throughout each song. It's diverse, it's eclectic, it's whatever synonym there is that means "wide range in differences".

I remember talking to two of my friends about the music they listened to when I was in Year 8 or something. I had only vaguely heard something about the band, I think my sister liked them. Ben (one of them) talked about "Late of the Pier" and how he thought the name "Does It Offend You, Yeah?" was a cool name for a band. He also started singing "Space and the Woods" which was quite funny. Normally he just reads books all the time, and I never knew then that he listened to music very much.

"The Bears Are Coming" played for about ten seconds on a Virgin Media Music Videos preview on my TV. Virgin Media allows you to watch a large number of music videos for free as part of their "On Demand" option. The first line and part of the second were the only parts of the video that played, and I thought it sounded good.

I didn't watch the video though. It sounds odd that I didn't. It's pretty weird that I didn't if it was available for free. I don't think I actually listened to the full song until late last year.

It's a good song. It was released as a single too. Late of the Pier's singles are very good. If you haven't listened to it yet, watch the video above.

You might be confused by it. It's much less confusing than the video for "Focker" though. That video is something else.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment