Sunday 7 July 2013

My iPod #77: Kings of Leon - Be Somebody

Ah. The only one I really like from "Only by the Night".

I am, admittedly, a Kings of Leon fan who prefers their music prior to "Only by the Night". Sure, "Sex on Fire" and "Use Somebody" were major successes for them - and that's great. I just like it when they weren't aiming for this big, stadium filling sound that they seem to have been going for since the album's release in 2008. Ever since they cut their hair, which I first noticed in the video for "Charmer", things just started going downhill for me. I'm just saying. Don't hate me.

"Be Somebody" is the highlight from the album for me. That's only because the two songs I've mentioned above are repeated endlessly on the TV or radio. I can't get no satisfaction when I hearing them sung by contestants on the X Factor, or Britain's Got Talent, or other inane Saturday night ITV programmes that are on.

It sounds like a song that could have been on "Because of the Times", I don't get a sense of "Ooh, look at us we're this huge band now and you should listen to us" vibe that I get from other songs on the album. It's a haunting song, emphasised by the descending riff in the verses and the shrieking guitar in the breaks between the verses until you are suddenly lifted by an uplifting sounding chorus, where Caleb reaches the top of his lungs singing how he's going to be somebody.

To summarise, for me it's the only good song on the album. I'll stick to their tunes from when their hair was long.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

P.S. Congratulations to Andy Murray, who became the first Briton to win Wimbledon in 77 years. He's still Scottish.

No comments:

Post a Comment