Saturday 25 January 2014

My iPod #230: They Might Be Giants - Cyclops Rock

This is the end... for now. I've come to the last of the 'Cs', and starting from tomorrow there won't be posts for a while. I enjoy typing these; I hope you like reading them. I may come across as a bit repetitive or just silly in general, telling you how I feel about songs and trying to 'review' them without having technical music knowledge is quite challenging, but it gives me something to do everyday... so it's all good.

"Cyclops Rock" is a tune from They Might Be Giants' album "Mink Car" from 2001. After John Linnell's track about a mesmerizing hair cut comes John Flansburgh's about..... I'm not so sure. I don't want to say the lyrics are nonsensical or random because there probably is a clear meaning behind them.... I can't tell. What does "cyclops rocking" entail? How is it different from plain rocking? I'm only joking.

It doesn't really matter when it comes TMBG. All of their songs have that sort of thing about them. Who cares what the song is trying to say when it rocks as hard as this. Starting with three chimes of tubular bells, "Cyclops" launches into life with Flansburgh shouting the chorus at you along with some great guitar playing and sliding saxophone notes by Linnell on the side. Full of energy, very quick, a cameo by Cerys Matthews in the bridge (which was actually meant for the late Joe Strummer at one point). Three things you can expect from this song.

Well, that's it. Cs are done. Bring on the Ds.

See ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment