Wednesday 8 January 2014

My iPod #214: Billy Talent - Covered in Cowardice

Ah, Billy Talent II. Almost eight years old now, my god. I know Billy Talent's debut album turned ten in September last year, but I actually remember the lead up towards this album. I was eleven, the "Red Flag" demo was on the band's MySpace as well as Burnout Revenge, the band's website design had changed from the glowing red and yellow design to the simple yet powerful white . I can see it all. Where does the time go?

For a while, before it was actually released, the band uploaded the album onto their official website. Now I don't know whether it was my computer, but for some reason the track lengths that appeared were much longer than the actual duration of the song. I would be waiting there for a minute and a half through silence until it changed to the next. Sometimes it wouldn't play at all.

Nevertheless it was on the band's site, their MySpace profile or some other website that I was able to listen to the album in full. "Covered in Cowardice" was a track that I really liked when I first owned the physical copy. Ian's guitar playing is as flawless as ever, and it still baffles me how he can do the work of two separate guitarists on one lone guitar. He'll be playing a lick on the three high strings before pulling off a riff on the lower three, it's very difficult to tell where you'll end up next. There is plenty of that on this song. That's one reason why I like it so much.

Essentially, it's a song about Internet trolls/cyber-bullying. Ben doesn't stand for that shit, calling them 'bitter pricks' and... cowards, obviously. There's also screaming in the track, which is a thing the lead singer seems to have left in the past for now. I miss screaming in Billy Talent songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment