Thursday 9 January 2014

My iPod #215: They Might Be Giants - Cowtown

"Cowtown" is the second song from They Might Be Giants' second album "Lincoln". I first heard the track on the old LaunchCast radio/website that Yahoo used to own. I won't go on about that; I've talked about it before in many posts that I can't be bothered to link into this sentence.

I was probably about nine/ten and what instantly struck me, apart from the galloping clarinet introduction, was the overall tone and mood of the song when John Flansburgh starts singing the chorus and the rest of the instruments come in. There is something very warm, inviting, and full of pride about it. Almost got me thinking Cowtown was an actual place that existed somewhere, and if it didn't could someone think of a plan to construct it right away.

Although primarily written by Linnell, both Johns sing the track which is great because their voices work of each other so well. And with so many rhymes in the lines and lyrical wordplay, it is a shoe in with the many They Might Be Giants tunes that rely on those kinds of things on... well, almost all of their albums. But the first four especially.

No comments:

Post a Comment