Thursday 23 January 2014

My iPod #228: The Used - Cut Up Angels

"Cut Up Angels" is a track from The Used's second album "In Love and Death". I already gave my thoughts about it when I wrote a post for "All That I've Got" last year, and so this whole sentence will be linked to it.

The track actually comes right after that song. After a sample of what appears to be amusement park music, someone counts-in, a lone guitar plays with some backwards singing (which reversed is Bert yelping out "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" by The Beatles) before the rest of the band joins along.

The lyrics mostly concern the themes of love, sex and suicide. Lines such as "going out at the same time" and the loss to the brain "feeling like a gun" probably reinforce the last of those three a greater amount. They could also refer to a 'petit mort' (something my English teacher taught us when he went off at his daily tangents during his lessons) which is describes the state of unconsciousness one goes through after 'sexual experiences'. Maybe the double suicide that is hinted at is actually a thought of a couple having an orgasm at the same time. I don't know what "cleaning up the mess" would mean though. You know what, this is too weird. I'll stop there.

I do like this song though. Obviously, otherwise why would I type about it? It was one I added to my iPod straight away after listening to the album in full before I started Year 10. The last minute or so is glorious when Bert starts shrieking out the repeated choruses before the track mellows out, all except for a noise which repeats and segues into the next song.

No comments:

Post a Comment