Saturday 4 January 2014

My iPod #210: Nine Black Alps - Cosmopolitan

"Cosmopolitan" is the second track from Nine Black Alps' first album "Everything Is". It was one of the first tracks to be recorded for it too. It was the first single by the band, and was released a year earlier in 2004.

Now I had known of Nine Black Alps when their videos for "Unsatisfied" and "Just Friends" started appearing on MTV2. I never really gave "Unsatisfied" a chance because every time the video started and Sam Forrest had such a glum look on his face, I was never sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for what would come next. "Just Friends", I liked but it was a little too short. YouTube didn't exist and I wanted to hear more of their material. How could I? When would the next opportunity arrive when I would another one of their tunes?

Christmas 2005 when I got FIFA 06, that's when. "Cosmopolitan" was one of the tracks that EA had selected to be in their yearly football release. Something that's quite strange looking at the tracks they have for FIFA 14. They would never choose something as hard-hitting as this again.

I love FIFA. Been getting it since 2002. So if an artist's song is in there, if it is good, I will be able to decipher the lyrics and sing along to it all the time. "Cosmopolitan" was no exception.

With a lone guitar playing the riff for the first few seconds, the track then explodes into life. Brilliant guitar playing in the left and right channels while Sam Forrest really sings from the stomach - it's almost like melodic shouting. It's cool.

It's very dark. But that's no surprise. I say 'dark' all the time when I talk about this band but I can't help it. They write dark stuff. "Everything Is", lyrically, is especially dark. That album's great.

P.S. Um... hello Hatch Records. If you see this, thank you for following me on Twitter. If you like this post could you comment below.... or favourite my tweet. It's really awesome to know that one of my most liked band's label has noticed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment