Monday 24 February 2014

My iPod #231: Arctic Monkeys - D Is for Dangerous

It has been a year since I started doing this. Feels like it's been a year too.

I did actually start posting on the 22nd February last year which I completely forgot about until I checked earlier on today, but it was two days later that I took on the challenge of writing about (almost) every song that I have on my iPod. Click on here to start all the way from the beginning.

Since I last posted, nothing much has gone on. Just living life and listening to a lot of music too.

So here is the return of 'My iPod' and the Ds. For how long, I don't know. But I've seen the number of songs I have that begin with the letter 'D'. There are many. A lot more than 'C' for sure.

But we begin with the third song from Arctic Monkeys' second album "Favourite Worst Nightmare" - "D Is for Dangerous".

I remember that this was the track when I first bought the album in 2007 that caught my ear straight away. "Brianstorm"- I had obviously heard many times before and "Teddy Picker" took me a few listens to get into, but it took me that first listen for "Dangerous" to sink in.

It probably isn't even the best song on the album. It's pretty short and quick, only 2 minutes and 20 seconds long if you round it up, but everything is delivered with such slick execution. Cool guitar playing, a great bass line by the then-new Monkey Nick O'Malley and vocals by both Alex Turner and Matt Helders. Pretty much all I can say.

Whether they thought of the name of the album before writing the song or vice versa, I'm not sure. But it is in there. Also watch out near the end, when it sounds like the track begins to skip. I thought something had gone wrong with my computer the first time that happened.

That album by the band is my favourite of theirs. It's probably the last one they've released that I can listen to the whole way through and not become..... bored? I don't think that's the right word. Basically, I haven't been as hyped for Arctic Monkey albums since then.

For many it just doesn't compare to "Whatever" or possibly even "AM" now, knowing that a lot of people are liking that. But "Nightmare" is just really solid. Maybe it's the production or something, but there's something in all twelve tracks that makes we want to carry on listening to them. Can't really say that for the albums that followed. Hate on me if you want.

Happy D-Day! The Offspring tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment