Friday 24 January 2014

My iPod #229: Pavement - Cut Your Hair

Ah.... the first Pavement song I ever heard. It all started from this.

I was ten years old, probably getting to eleven, and I was downstairs nice and early whilst everyone else stayed in their beds to watch the music videos on MTV2. "Cut Your Hair" came on, played for the its three minute duration, and then was gone. But it got stuck in my head. The "ooh ooh ooh" chorus, the easy-to-remember 'riff' (don't know whether it's a riff or not)..... I am certain that that was the only time I saw the video on that channel before it got revamped, renamed and whatever else the company did to totally remove its credibility.

The music video is really simple and not at all serious. The band come into a barbershop, weird things happen when each member sits in the chair resulting in no one getting their hair cut and they leave when the song finishes. Does it have anything to do with the song? Not really. It's more of an obscure "Hey we're Pavement" type thing, seeing as this was the band's first proper music video to go with a song that did quite well commercially. Although, it did leave me wondering who played what instrument and who the person singing was.

Anyway, "Cut Your Hair" is a song about people in the music industry caring more about their appearances than they do about the actual music. It is sarcastic in tone, something supported by Malkmus' trademark loose and "off-key" vocal.

I liked it so much I put the video on my Piczo site; every kid who was in Year Six (2005/06) will know what I'm talking about. Too bad that company died, and my site is gone now.

"Cut Your Hair" is on the band's second album "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain" from 1994.

No comments:

Post a Comment