Tuesday 21 January 2014

My iPod #227: The Who - Cut My Hair

"Cut My Hair" is the fourth track on The Who's sixth album and second 'rock opera' "Quadrophenia". It is sung by the main songwriter and guitarist Pete Townshend with lead vocalist Roger Daltrey providing melodies in the chorus.

"Quadrophenia" got me through some lonely times. Hearing it in Summer 2010 and being bored due to staying in my house all the time made me take pointless walks around the local area. Sometimes I would go to the shops or go to my aunt's house around the corner and just chill there until I felt like I wanted to get back home again.

Weather-wise, I distinctly remember that summer not being very great. Rain or slight overcast that turned into dark and gloomy clouds, and I would sing this song all the time when I went on my excursions. It got me through it.

Townshend decribed the song as: "A domestic interlude. The boy recalls a row with his folks that culminated in his leaving home. We also hear a news broadcast mentioning riots in Brighton between Mods and Rockers, events at which he was present the previous week."

I can say I cannot relate to any of that, I like my family a lot. The latter relates to the concept/context of the album which I won't go into. It's too much.

But yeah, the song's good. Have a listen. I'll be back tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment